The first one is very close to what I am thinking of doing since my bedroom walls are a soft sage green color. I planned on having all my frames in antique white, in different shapes and sizes. The criteria for the frames was that they had to have a vintage feel to them, have a variety of interesting patterns and they had to be frames that I already owned, purchased from garage sales, discount stores, or even better- curbside finds. The more inexpensive, the better. I didn't care what color or material they were made from, as I was going to spray paint them all the same color - Heirloom White.
I started by going through my own large collection of frames and choosing the ones that I thought were the most interesting. The next step was to make frequent visits to Value Village , Salvation Army and Goodwill stores. Most of the frames I found were from $1.00 to $5.00. Some had mirrors in them which I removed, and some had tacky art-work - but I was able to look past this and see their potential.
Here's some of my hodge-podge collection of frames before spray painting
And after spray-painting......
Once I had all my frames, I removed all the backing material from them, and laid them out on a tarp. I decided to do a chippy paint look on them, so that some of the gold would show through after sanding. I rubbed a plain white candle in random areas on each frame, and on the edges, as well as anywhere there was a raised decorative detail. Then I sprayed all the frames with Rustoleum Heirloom White spray paint. When the frames where completely dry ( at least overnight) I sanded or scratched the paint off the areas that I had rubbed with wax. The wax makes it really easy to remove the paint and show some gold , without sanding off the underlying gold colour.
When all my frames were done, I laid a bath towel down on my dining room table. I made sure the towel was the approximate size of the area on my wall that I was hanging the collage. Then I began experimenting with different layouts. I kept rearranging the frames until I was happy with the arrangement. Then it was onto the wall to hang and admire.
Here's the finished product:
I'm pretty happy with the result, but I think I would have used a few more larger frames if I could have found some that I liked in my $5.00 per frame budget. The good thing about this project is that I can easily change up a few of the frames, or add more if I want.
Hope you like the result. Until next time.